February 17, 2020
Meet John O’Shaughnessy, Creative Director of Verve in Dublin, Ireland.
– How did you get started in events? How did you end up at Verve?
I was working for a design agency and Verve was my client. I ending up visiting their office a lot to present proposals and one day they convinced me to stay. From there, I fell into events head first. I’m an oldtimer now, having been there for 12 years.
– Tell us about a time you’ve totally failed. What can we learn from it?
I once pitched a proposal to a food company without ever tasting their product (which was honestly pretty unappetizing). Big mistake. You really have to get under the bonnet of a brand and believe in the products you’re helping to market.
– Describe 3 personality traits you think someone needs in order to make it in this line of work.
Resilience, Creativity, and Curiosity.
– What trends are you seeing in the event and live communication industry?
Sustainability is the biggest trend we’re seeing – events can generate a lot of waste so I think the whole industry is finally seriously starting to consider the legacy we leave behind.
– How do you benefit from being a 27Names member?
27Names is endlessly inspiring especially from a creative perspective – after every meeting I have a notebook of new ideas to take back to Dublin! It’s been a great opportunity to connect with some of Europe’s most talented event professionals and visit some incredible venues.
– If you weren’t in this industry, what would you be doing?
Probably interior design – I grew up on a farm but working with cows never appealed to me as an option!
– Most interesting thing you’ve read, seen or done recently?
I was in Argentina last month and heard about “Falsa Boda:” essentially they’re fake weddings staged simply as an excuse for a huge party!
– What might someone be surprised to know about you? Any hidden talents or unusual hobbies?
I have a twin brother – we’ve been known to swap places occasionally. That’s all I’m saying.
– Something everyone is obsessed with but you don’t like or understand?
Selfies – I don’t understand the enduring fascination.
– You can go back in time and give yourself one piece of advice: what would it be?
Follow your gut instincts and don’t be afraid to ask for help!
You never know when this info might come in handy 😉
– You’re being forced to sing karaoke: What song would you sing?
It takes about a bottle of vodka to force me to do karaoke but ‘Supermodel’ by RuPaul is a favourite.
– Someone wants to buy you a drink: What should they order?
Guinness of course – it’s a meal and a party in a glass.
– The top 5 Frequently Used Emojis on your phone:
☘️🙅🏻♂️☠️🧟♂️👯♂️ I’m not sure what any of them mean.
John’s Dublin Tips
– Favorite coffee shop?
Bewleys Grafton Street: Traditional cafe with a small theatre and gorgeous stained glass windows.
– Favorite local publication/blog/Instagram account?
Dublin Decoded: tours of Dublin that most tourists don’t experience.
– Top 3 sites every tourist should visit?
Thank you for sharing with us John!
If you’d like to learn more about 27Names and our members, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.